Alan Srl was founded in Pavia in 1993 on the initiative of a family group that had already matured various experiences over the previous five years in the field of hazardous and non-hazardous waste disposal. The aim was to create technologically advanced plants for the treatment of waste, consisting of sludge from biological purification, and other organic matter in order to be able to reuse them in agriculture as fertilizer and soil improver.
At a time when this need had not yet been felt, the aim was to start a “circular economy” project, developing a treatment of waste and rejects that would make it possible to return organic substances and other fertilising components contained in sludge and organic waste matrices to return them to agricultural land, in total, or partial substitution to chemical fertilisation in a geographical area. In particular in the Province of Pavia, where the monoculture of rice had already caused a significant impoverishment of the soil.
The first permit, obtained on 31 January 1997, allowed the construction in the municipality of Sommo of a treatment plant which became operational in 1998.
In September of the following year, the environmental management system adopted is certified according to the regulation UNI EN ISO 14001.
Following our growing desire to invest in projects aimed at enhancing the value of materials commonly used in our daily lives, in January 2001 we applied for, and obtained, permission to build a composting plant for OFMSW*, food and green waste to be built in the municipality of Zinasco, which will became operational the following year. In the same year, the company registered in the register of companies that have obtained EMAS certification.
In 2004 the new head office is completed. It is located on the same site as the composting plant in the municipality of Zinasco, where the administrative offices and management are moved.
In 2005, two important new objectives are achieved: obtaining a permit to build a joint plant in Bascapè, for the treatment of biological sludge to be reused in agriculture and obtaining a permit for a subsidiary company for the construction of a landfill site for aggregates and special waste.
In 2014, having won a public competition, Alan Srl will be managing the decommissioned composting and anaerobic digestion plant of ASM Voghera, which will be the subject of complete revamping and expansion.
*OFMSW: Organic fraction of municipal solid waste.
All plants have been extended and renewed until they reach the current conformation:
Sommo plant: storage and treatment for subsequent reuse in agriculture of biological sludge and fertilizer production. With an annual capacity of 50,000 tonnes.
Bascapè plant: storage and treatment for subsequent reuse in agriculture of biological sludge and fertiliser production. With an annual treatment capacity of 66,000 tonnes.
Zinasco plant: anareobic biodigestion of FORSU and food waste, composting and production of energy from renewable sources. Treatment capacity 30,000 tonnes per year.
Voghera plant: anareobic biodigestion of FORSU and food waste, production of energy from renewable sources. Treatment capacity 30,000 tonnes per year.
The significant growth of the company has been achieved as the result of the undoubted entrepreneurial skills, which, since its creation to date, has committed to reinvest most of its profits in:
– constant and continuous updating of production processes always employing the best available technology, allowing the company to create a strong reputation on the market in terms of efficiency and reliability;
– the study and research of innovative and effective solutions in the environmental field, also in collaboration with other companies and research institutes that enabled them to win the Smart Cities project launched by the Region Lombardia in 2014 in the field of environmental sustainability in the Waste Management/Smart Grid sector;
– implementation of the disposal services offered and diversification of the activities carried out in relation to changing market needs;
– compliance with all standards and, above all, environmental standards, maintaining and implementing UNI EN ISO 14001 and 9001 certification in the 2015 version, thus protecting the company from disputes by the control authorities;
– the training and safety of its personnel and in the application of complementary forms of incentives that enhance the peculiarities of each individual:
– capitalisation of the company, making it financially self-sufficient and capable of dealing with the financial crises of the last decade without repercussions.